Rumblafest

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Rumblafest

Post by Jonathan »

As with Holiwood Nights, I took way more photos than I can include here. To see all of them plus high-res versions, go HERE.

After a long two days at Holiday World, we hit the road on our way to Bowling Green, Kentucky, a couple hours away from Santa Claus. After a few wrong turns and a scenic trip through the big city of Bowling Green, we found our destination.

Fields.... fields... fields....

Roller coaster?

Over 400 people were signed up for the first ever Rumblefest.

As you've probably been informed, the park has a new GCI twister known as the Kentucky Rumbler. How they were able to afford it I don't know, but I won't argue about it!

The place really reminded me of Williams Grove but with a shiny new coaster installed.

Beech Bend now has the distinction of being the first park where I have ever heard a ride operator say "Folks it is lightning out there but if anyone wants to go ahead and ride step on in."

Unlike the station 'fly-through' on Thunderhead, Beech Bend's station 'fly-by' has airtime. :-)

Here is the Looping Star, or as you will come to know it once you have ridden it, the Evil Torture Death Machine.

Here are Phil and John caught in the rain on the Shock Drop. Once the rain slowed, the operator tested it four times and then yelled at her co-worker across the midway "I ran it four times is that enough?!" Like I said, the place reminded me of Williams Grove (and that's not a bad thing).

The Dragon ride operator quickly discovered that the tire drive lift will not function properly when wet. It took about 5 tries before he got it to crest the hill.

Any park with a big slide is okay in my book.

POV!

They had a pretzel style dark ride. I LOVE these things.

If you haven't had enough after the Looping Star, here is Evil Torture Death Ride #2, or as they call it, 'Scat 2'.

Alan hopes that the machine will lie.

O RLY?

This was probably the fastest scrambler I've ever seen.

Back to the Rumbla.

This coaster was fun in the daytime, but by the late hours of the night it was really running insane. I didn't like it near as much as Thunderhead (but that's a tough ride to live up to), but I liked it a little bit better than Ozark Wildcat, so it is my second favorite of the GCI coasters.

John and Phil took a ride on White Water Express.

This place had the most violent bumper cars I have seen outside of Knoebels. They ran really fast, and the metal paneled floor allowed for great sliding and fishtailing.

Miniature golf is free with a wristband!

They had a pretty neat little course.

Here's the helix of doom on one of the Splash Lagoon slides.

My first ever emo shot.

John and Phil take a ride on the terrifying Dragon coaster.

On the first drop the car leans so much that it feels like you are going to fall out.

We took a spin on the antique cars, but Alan could not control the wheel at all.

Time for dinner, which was catered by some local BBQ place. They ain't got nothin' on North Carolina BBQ.

Watch that first step it's a real doozy.

Off to ERT we go.

The Wild Mouse was really fun.

Unfortunately, the Dizzy Dragons were not open for ERT, but they were really awesomefied!

The sun sets on the Kentucky Rumbler.

Despite the large attendance, the lines were not bad at all over at the Rumbler, and by the end of the night it was a walk-on.

I'm pretty sure everyone attending the event tried on these hats at least once during the night.

Congratulations you now have the sweat of 400 ACEers in your hair.

Jeff and Mike from GCI were on hand to operate their ride.

Station fly-by!

What a ride!

"Sure I'll be in a video for Whootah dot com that sounds like a nice wholesome website!"

Please be sure to wash your hands after the event thanks.

Apparently I got to ride the Rumbler with Geordi.

Before we left, Phil had to harrass the local wildlife.

Gimme some food.

Over at our hotel, a Comfort Inn, the door was locked and not a soul could be found at the front desk. Both Comfort Inn and AAA tried calling the desk repeatedly, but no one answered.

We got to stay free at the much nicer Quality Inn up the street. Sounds good to me.

After a little bit of sleep, we hit the road, and made our way back to North Carolina. It was a fantastic trip, and two fantastic events. Beech Bend is a neat little park with an awesomefied coaster, and they really did a fantastic job putting on their first event. Thanks to everyone involved and everyone who attended for a great time! Remember to go HERE to see all of the photos!