Six Flags Over Georgia (GOLIATH!)

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Six Flags Over Georgia (GOLIATH!)

Post by Jonathan »

Click HERE for the full gallery of 97 photos from this day including wallpaper sized versions.

8/8/06

I needed to get my Goliath on before moving back to Raleigh, so I headed down to Six Flags Over Georgia Tuesday with Wes.

Our trip started out as so many do with a greasy breakfast at McDonalds.

Our drive into Atlanta began as so many do with bad traffic. I really despise driving to this city.

Here's my "artsy" Goliath shot.

I went to the park on nearly this exact day last year, and operations were absolutely TERRIBLE, so it was time to see if things had really changed around here. First impressions were no, not at all, as they only had one parking attendant at park opening! Thankfully, this was the exception, and not the rule. Operations were for the most part very good, and every coaster was running to full capacity (last year every coaster was running one train).

Good to see the trams back in action.

Hooray Mind Bender.

And there it is. The main reason for this excursion.

You definitely get some great views of Goliath as it crosses the driveway outside the park.

Weeeeeeeee

My airtime senses are tingling.

Another artsy shot.

Looks fun.

Enough picture taking, though, I'm ready to ride!

Into the park we go, and straight to Goliath.

Here's one of the return bunny hills where the coaster comes swooping back into the park.

Wes informed me that the ride has a 50's time travel theme.

The last turn and hop is pretty cool. I wasn't prepared for it on the first ride and faceplanted the lap bar. Needless to say I hung on for each ride after that.

There I am with Wes in the back seat on my first ride on Goliath. One seat was broken.

The line was not too bad, and we figured it would get worse later in the day, so we went again, riding in the second row this time.

Foghorn hitching a ride to work.

Yep Deja Vu is working. I've had a good bit of success with this ride being open when I go. We got lucky as thunder started rumbling while we were getting strapped in, and they shut down the ride for weather the moment we finished our ride. It was pretty darn rough.

Deja Vu... through the tree.

Surprise, surprise, Ninja is a walk-on.

This coaster is cool because you get a bonus ride when you hit the brake run as the whole track starts shaking and bucking from side to side.

Exclusive shot.

Great American Scream Machine was jackhammering all over the track and beating the hell out of everyone. One ride was enough.

The queue for Superman was completely filled, so we said to hell with that and went to find a better ride.

Instead of Superman we rode the bumper cars, which are quite good.

Neither of us had done the Raging River, so we decided to wait for it.

It's short, but as you can see, you get absolutely drenched.

I was still wet even when I got home 10 hours later.

Yeah... that waterfall back there is what we went under.

I was excited when I suddenly remembered Monster Plantation. Join the monsters at the mansion... You're invited... to a picnic... etc etc

Goliath... through the plantation.

We even had time to do their wave swinger.

I was absolutely thrilled to find that Mind Bender was a walk-on. We were actually able to get multiple rides in.

We decided to skip Batman and return to the big orange thing.

Here I be in front of the entrance.

Three more rides on Goliath ought to do (the lines were shorter than they were in the morning).

I liked Goliath more and more with each ride, and after riding all of the B&M hypers in the United States, I like Goliath the best. In fact, I would probably put it at #2 on my steel list behind Superman at New England.

Georgia Cyclone... through the trees.

The Georgia Cyclone still has some sick airtime moments, and I still like the ride, but GOOD GOD has it gotten rough. It's always been a rough coaster, but now it is shuffling in the turns worse than Son of Beast. Plz to take care of your woodies Six Flags kthx bai.

You can bet I'll be back again to ride Goliath.

See you later Goliath.

And now I leave you with this shot. There was plenty of time to take pictures like this because we spent another hour stuck in traffic trying to get out of Atlanta. There's just no way to avoid it. It turned out to be a great day at the park. The crowds were not as bad as I expected, and the operations were good, which I certainly didn't expect. It was pretty hot outside, but after being at Worlds of Fun when it's 104 degrees, it didn't feel that bad to me. Goliath is definitely worth the trip.

HERE for the full gallery of 97 photos from this day including wallpaper sized versions.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

Awesomefied! Looks like you guys had a great time! I'm really glad to hear that park operations were running full blast. That trip we did last year really showed the park at one of it's lowest points.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

How do I set an avatar on this board?
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

Anonymous wrote:How do I set an avatar on this board?
You have to join as a member of the boards to establish an avatar.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

They were a member. Someone deleted them.
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

i deleted them. along with about 10 people per week on average. the guys email address and home page were obvious spam attempts.