So long and thanks for all the mammories... MB Pavilion

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

So long and thanks for all the mammories... MB Pavilion

Post by Jonathan »

Click HERE for all 99 images from the Pavilion including high-res versions. Click HERE for Family Kingdom.

With C3 a fading memory, I was off to the beach to pay my last respects to one of the last remaining seaside amusement parks in the country before it is destroyed for shops and hotels. I stopped at this welcome center about 30 minutes from the beach and for some reason I asked if they had Pavilion discounts. They did, and I was able to get a wristband for $22. "Great!" I thought.

This was the sign that greeted me at the Pavilion. Yep, it's 'Familyy Day'. All wristbands $10.

Here's Hurricane as seen from my car.

It's definitely a bit weird going to a park knowing that in a few weeks it's going to slowly begin coming down.

It's always cool to see the ocean behind a coaster (look closely).

Here's the building that started it all.

Looks like the GAP found their way to Myrtle Beach.

Of course, I have to include at least one shot of the actual beach.

I met up with Tommy, Brandi, Josh, and Barron, and we ate lunch at Pier 14.

Another obligatory Myrtle Beach destination is the Gay Dolphin.

You can get mini license plates for virtually any name you can possibly imagine.

One last shot of the beach before we go off to ride roller coasters.

These signs were at many businesses in town.

Here's Tommy buying his $10 wristband. I guess I get $12 of extra memories.

Apparently the organ and carousel are going to be kept and possibly moved, which is a good thing.

I wonder if Hurricane will be delivering smooth rides?

No.

The Pavilion was JAMMED. I'm guessing it was in part because of the $10 wristbands, and in part because of the whole permanent closure thing.

Yep, this is the line for the wild mouse.

Through the tree... literally.

Mad Mouse is a pretty awesomefied mouse and never has any brakes turned on until the end of the ride.

Finally... we get to ride.

I hear this flume is really cool. Unfortunately, I will never know. :-/

For those who want to be the last to experience the park, you can come to a private event on September 30th.

After two rides on Hurricane and one on the mouse, it was time to head over to Family Kingdom. I had hoped to ride as much as I could at the Pavilion, but the insane crowds put a stop to that.

Over at Family Kingdom, I found some familiar faces on Swamp Fox.

Whereas the Pavilion was jammed, we were virtually the only people at Family Kingdom. Also, ACE members were given free wristbands with their membership card. Can't beat that.

Here's why you don't let Tommy get ahold of your camera.

This log flume was excellent.

Lift hill #2.

"Don't forget to 'shmile' for the camera!"

Luxurious.

Yeah we got a little bit wet.

Here's the beautiful view from the ferris wheel.

Oh yeah there's some water over there or something.

Whatev... back to taking pictures of Swamp Fox.

We havin a party.

Swamp Fox was delivering some enormous airtime in the back seat.

Still ranked 8th in the country I see :-)

Wes came down from Charlotte specifically to experience this drop tower. It is without a doubt the best drop tower ever made.

whootah for Sally dark rides.

I said goodbye to the GAP people and prepared to head back to Raleigh. But, there was no way I was going to let them tear down one of my favorite dark rides without one last ride.

I sucked it up and waited nearly an hour to ride the Haunted Hotel.

Haunted Hotel is a classic very well done dark ride, and will probably be the biggest loss when the Pavilion is torn down.

Goodbye Hurricane.

Hopefully someone else will buy you and give you a little bit of lovin'. That thing is seriously brutal...

It will be weird without the Pavilion in downtown Myrtle Beach, and without seeing Hurricane rising into the skyline (although granted, it has only been there 6 years).

Hopefully a lot of the rides in the park will be relocated to other parks.

Here is one final shot (there's a much bigger version of this in the gallery). So long and thanks for all the fish.

Bonus shot of some dirt at the Hard Rock Park site.

Bonus shot of South of the Border.

Double bonus shot.

Well, that's that then. Soon the Pavilion will be gone, and a little bit more of the character of Myrtle Beach will be sucked away. Hopefully they will put something worth going to on that spot, but I won't be holding my breath.