Busch Gardens Europe Howl-O-Scream

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Busch Gardens Europe Howl-O-Scream

Post by Jonathan »

Click HERE for all 157 images including high-res versions.

On Friday the 13th I figured there was no better time to go to Howl-O-Scream, so I headed north toward Williamsburg.

I took the ferry across the James River on the way up.

Good luck getting out of your car during the trip with the sea gulls waiting to bomb you.

Busch Gardens is one of my favorite parks, and for the last three years I have lived just three hours away. Despite that, this was my first time to the park since 2000. I was a bit surprised to find the parking lot entrance moved over to near Apollo's Chariot.

This is a beautiful sight.

With Gryphon coming next year and my severe lack of visits to the park over the last few years, I decided to go ahead and get a 2007 season pass.

It was way too cold to ride Escape from Pompeii today.

I made a beeline for one of my favorite steel coasters, Apollo's Chariot.

The ride was basically walk-on, so I got a few rides in then moved on.

Apollo's Chariot is probably my second favorite of the B&M hypers, as I prefer it just slightly over Nitro, and of course Goliath is my favorite.

Next up was Big Bad Wolf, which I still really like. I definitely cannot fit into those cars very comfortably anymore, though.

I stopped by Das Festhaus just to look around.

Curse of DarKastle was one of two rides (Corkscrew Hill the other) put in since I was last at the park.

I haven't been on Spiderman at IOA, and from what I hear it blows DarKastle away, but I liked DarKastle a lot. The second time I rode it the guy beside me fell for the effects everytime, grabbing his lapbar in terror at the scene where the sleigh seems to fall over the castle wall.

Alpengeist was the first really large coaster I ever rode, back when it opened in 97, but I have never really had a great ride on it. I've always thought it is a beautiful ride, but it's always been one of my least favorite inverteds.

That changed today.

The trim on the first drop was not turned on, so the first half of the ride was very fast and intense.

I gained a new appreciation for this ride, and would now consider it among my favorite inverteds.

What could be back there?

Here's another new attraction since I last visited. More on this later.

Here's me with a parrot, looking like I'm drunk just like most pictures of me.

Busch Gardens has lots of animals. Like wolves...

And bald eagles.

Here's something else that is different from when I was last here. Hastings is no more, and Ireland has arrived. I definitely approve of the change.

Corkscrew Hill was a huge surprise. Unlike pretty much every other simulator ride I have ever been on with a horrible script that tries to be clever and ends up horribly cheesy, Corkscrew Hill was actually very funny and creatively immersed you in the story.

The dalmations did not seem to like being in their pen.

The clydesdale says hello.

Loch Ness Monster time.

Here's my crappy Gryphon construction photo. The turn out of the station was complete when I was there.

Loch Ness Monster is still fun, although a bit rough. The station was nearly completely empty for it.

I'm pretty sure this is a required shot if you have a camera with you.

whootah Alpengeist.

Obligatory duck picture.

Such a photogenic park.

Such a photogenic park.

The train was turned into a Halloween ride as part of Howl-O-Scream, and I was actually a bit let down. Unfortunately, it was still not fully dark when I did it, but it still was not nearly what I was expecting after hearing so many great things about it.

Poor Drachen Fire had its station converted into a haunted house for Howl-O-Scream.

The Lorikeet Aviary is the best part of the entire park.

This bird attached itself to this guy and would not stop biting his hair and ears.

Very true.

Hi there.

Yeah hey we're trying to sleep up here thanks.

The sampler plate at Trapper's Smokehouse had brisket, bbq chicken, a spare rib, and a baby back rib. Highly recommended.

I love the way Big Bad Wolf winds through the fake village.

Ireland in Halloween mode.

This was a maze in the England area near the front of the park. All of the haunted attractions were good, but none of them were great, and I really didn't find them to be all that different from what you would find at say Scarowinds.

The Escape from Pompeii maze was the coolest, simply because the maze was actually inside the Pompeii building on the first floor.

What really excited me was Apollo's Chariot night rides. It did not disappoint.

After doing all of the Halloween mazes and getting my Apollo's Chariot night ride, I headed back for Raleigh. Busch Gardens is a fantastic park, and I can't wait to get back next spring to ride Gryphon.