Hard Rock Park opening day

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Hard Rock Park opening day

Post by Jonathan »

For all of my photos (149) from this day with high res versions at Flickr, click HERE.

Today was the first operating day ever of the new Hard Rock Park. The park will be operating in "sound check" mode for a month or so while they finish things up and work out all the bugs. This is the spot of the former biggest amusement park in Myrtle Beach. The Pavilion has been replaced by a big grass field.

Seemed like a good idea to actually go and see the beach while I was down here.

A quick lunch, then it was inland a bit to the park. Dave won one of the first seats on Led Zeppelin: The Ride in an online auction, and I was his guest for the day.

The usual theatrics and hype are given, then the first riders were ushered off to the coaster.

The official first ride.

Although I didn't get to ride until the park opened at 4, I will go ahead and say this is a pretty good ride. They were still working out the audio kinks (the audio only worked fully one of the three times I rode), but the coaster itself is fun. The queue system is pretty unncessary, and the pre-show had already become stale after watching it just twice, but it's a pretty cool attraction.

The $250 t-shirt.

I guess you could say this place is a little close to the airport. Led Zeppelin is only 13 inches under the max height requirement.

Back outside after the first ride, we waited around for two hours for the park to actually open.

The station for Led Zeppelin is pretty cool.

They also have awesomefied stuff in the gift shop.

You can play "Stairway to Heaven" by moving your fingers under the different strings of water on this guitar statue. There are all kinds of little interactive things like this to discover in the park.

The last thing anyone wanted to do on this cold windy day was get near this thing.

Best restaurant name ever? Or worst restaurant name ever?

Maximum RPM! is the ride I'm most curious about. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite ready yet.

Listen to what Sgt. Peppers has to say.

Not sure if this bus was meant to be boarded, but oh well. The doors WERE open.

Oh lawd

It's amazing how cheaply and easily you can make out of place electrical boxes suddenly fit right in with the rest of the park.

This has got to be one of the most bizarre dark rides ever. A 3-D dark ride synched to "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues.

Even the queue is awesomefied.

We saw a work in progress version of the stunt show. I usually hate park shows, but this one wasn't half bad.

Any park with things to play on and possibly bust your a$$ on gets major bonus points.

I was SO excited.

The park has a lot of fun interactive stuff, like this ball factory.

The greatest game ever at an amusement park.

Not to be outdone, Midieval Times seems to have allowed a carnival to set up in their parking lot literally right up against the side of Hard Rock Park.

Here is the Vekoma family coaster.

The water coaster was testing, but not ready to open yet. I rode at least part of this when it was at Emerald Pointe, but how much of the ride is new and how much is from there is uncertain. Guess I get to count it as new when I do ride it...

Eagles: Life in the Fast Lane, another listen to music while you ride coaster.

The sun sets on Hard Rock Park. You'll probably want to check out the big version of this one.

This first drop on Led Zeppelin is really great in the back seat.

They like to fly this kite around the lagoon (just wait until the fireworks show).

Don't be hatin just cause you ain't got these super fashionable Hard Rock shades.

Here is the rather clever entry plaza.

Night begins to fall on Led Zeppelin.

So when you get into one part of the line you get assigned a number to stand on and you'd better be sober because you have to remember it. Then you go into another tiny little room and you have to find that number and stand on it. Then you go into the station and you again need to find your number, and this time you actually get to ride. It's no doubt the most overcomplicated coaster boarding system ever created.

EPIC hot dog. The food here is actually pretty decent for park food.

Entering Rock 'N' Roll Heaven.

As has always been the case with parks and attractions at Myrtle Beach, things truly come to life after dark.

The long exposure done properly???!?!

There are a lot of clever little touches like this in the park.

Led Zeppelin reflects off the lagoon as the park nears closing time.

I was pretty ecstatic about the place. Everything was incredibly well thought out (well maybe not the Led Zeppelin queue), and I'm sure it's going a huge hit.

A day at Hard Rock Park is ended with a fireworks show synched to "Bohemian Rhapsody".

There goes the kite around the lagoon, but now it is flaming.

So this is a pretty awesomefied way to end a day. I will definitely be coming back here later in the year once everything is finished and running at 100%. There really isn't a park this well themed outside of Florida and California, although Dollywood, Busch Gardens, and Silver Dollar City deserve mention.

For all of my photos (149) from this day with high res versions at Flickr, click HERE.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Re: Hard Rock Park opening day

Post by AMartin777 »

Great pics! This is a definite visit for us sometime this year. Perhaps in the fall like you mentioned. :D
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Whootah! I'm supposed to be going to media day(s) next month!

Great pics. Can't wait to get down there.
coasterdave
Darth Chickenus

Post by coasterdave »

Just glad i could help you test out that brand new camera before you head over to Europe in may. Glad you had a great time Jon.

So when is the Whootah Meeting here anyway?
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

coasterdave wrote:Just glad i could help you test out that brand new camera before you head over to Europe in may. Glad you had a great time Jon.

So when is the Whootah Meeting here anyway?
Not sure about that... maybe sometime in the fall?