Photo TR: Freestyle Music Park, Family Kingdom & Pedroland

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Photo TR: Freestyle Music Park, Family Kingdom & Pedroland

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Hello happy readers, it's that time again for Travels With The Unemployed!

In this week's episode, Wes takes us to the Grand Strand, and the Not-So-Grand Stand (South of the Border/Pedroland).

Leo from ThrillNetwork was heading down on a Magical Mystery Tour of sorts and I met up with him for Freestyle Music Park, Family Kingdom, Pedroland (the highlight of course) as well as Carowinds.

First up is the newly re-christened Freestyle Music Park.

For all the photos from Freestyle Music Park visit: http://travel.webshots.com/album/572946552FaizZp
For all the photos from Family Kingdom visit: http://travel.webshots.com/album/572955 ... ost=travel
For all the photos from Pavilion Nostalgia Park visit: http://travel.webshots.com/album/572976 ... ost=travel

The Beatles will now serve you on line 1.

NC/SC residents had a $10 off coupon in the local papers, so I got Leo and myself in for the nice price of $29.99 each. Parking is $7. There were all of 6 cars in the parking lot when I pulled in at opening time (which is 11:00 AM by the way).

The Gibson looks ok with the new logo, but I prefer the Hard Rock one.

Time Machine greeted us as we made our way into the park. The coaster has really gotten shaky, and has gotten quite a bit of shuddering around in different spots of the ride since last year. I can only assume that's a maintenance issue, since B&M hardly are ever anything but smooth as glass.

These lines will not do! They did actually get enough people later in the day to fill up 1 train each time. To explain the soundtracks now: There are a selection of songs from the decades from the 60s through the 00s. With one train running, it would progress in order. First train of the day (as an example) will be 60s, the next 70s, etc. Then it repeats the same order. We rode about 7 times, but never managed to get the 80s :(. We got to hear all the other decades. 60s was pretty cool as The Beatles "Help" comes on as you're going down the first drop.

Round About was running! It ran all day without any problems. This was credit 160 for me. :) I know, I'm behind but if I get a job this year sometime I might get close to 200.

Round About's trains look like they stretched out Backlot Stunt coaster's trains.

Look! There are people in the park!

By audio, you mean total silence? The music wasn't playing at all, on any of our rides.

The Ferris Wheel is cool and all, and quite unnerving in some ways the first time. But sadly the rest of the ride is rather boring.

Hello train. I know this is the wrong country of origin, but they could play Van Halen's "Runaround" for the music. But again, it's not British so it will need to be something else. They were playing Culture Club as we walked up the queue line, hmmmmm....

Don't forget to wash behind your ears.

No more Eating Me.

Some type of construction is going on beside the ampitheater.

Must be for that yellow B&M track.

Soak'd was actually running, despite the boards out front saying it was closed.

The station reminds me of Busch Gardens Europe somehow.

Leo is ready to Hang Ten.

I find it strange they actually have a storage shed for a Roller Skater.

I don't know what that zero car is for on the end, maybe for crossing for the operators? Not sure.

Iron Horse (now on its 3rd name) was running good as last year. The fire is still there as well. The two tracks played were "Train Train" (Blackfoot???) and "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". And sometimes it just didn't play anything!

This ride could now be called "Drag Me To Hell".

OK, that's all for Part 1. Stay tuned for Part 2 of Freestyle (or Wes actually gets to watch the fireworks this time around).
Last edited by bgwfreak777 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Re: Photo TR: Freestyle Music Park, Family Kingdom & Pedroland

Post by bgwfreak777 »

OK I'm back again...

Monstars of Rock replaced Nights in White Satin (sorry I didn't take any pics). Monstars is so lame, it makes Nights look amazing. It's just a bunch of 2D cutouts, with a confusing story line and very little effects.

Also I have to ask, since its MONSTARs of Rock, does that mean the Silver Hawks are gonna show up at some point?

Giant guitar is still there.

Adrenaline Rush replaced Malibu Beach Party and was a lot better. It's all BMX, inline skating and such type of stunts.

It's orange vs. yellow. Cheer for your favorite team!

Watch it boys!

Ooo she's cute.

The show's comedy relief poses before a stunt.

I have made fire!

The ice show was the same, which is still pretty good.

I can fly!

Spiny spiny

Chicago, your show has been stolen.

Nice to see they kept some Zeppelin stuff. They actually played a bit of Whole Lotta Lovin in the station on one of our rides.

Mini guitars are half off.

Leo said this might have come from the Dallas Hard Rock.

Bless this speaker.

Round About was better at night, but still not much to it.

I got the nerve up to ride this and found it didn't make me sick at all, well I couldn't have done two rides in a row.

There's a barber showing photographs...

I thought it was pretty cool they let you see inside the maintenance room.

It's weird how Freestyle runs Time Machine all through the fireworks, yet Kings Island is all "NO! SHUT THEM ALL DOWN!!!"

Time for some laser treatment.

It's dark out there!

Ooooh. Pretty.

It looks quite nice by the lagoon.

Resistance is futile.

They have sparklers that go off right in front of you!

Umm... insert your comment here.

Flaming kites of death are always cool.

The park heard I was there, so they did an exclusive giant W in the sky for me!

The finale needs to be brighter.

The fireworks were really cool and I enjoyed the sound track. Just wish I'd gotten to have heard the Queen one last year.

It was a good day indeed! Family Kingdom is up next.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

I'm back with more pictures.

This is all that is left of Pavilion. :(

Leo is ready to get a classic coaster credit. His first of the trip.

Free! That's right free! ACE has a deal where you can normally get an all ride armband for $12. I walk up to get ours, and there was a supervisor behind the girl and he told her to give them to us FREE! Thanks Family Kingdom!

The train (I only saw 1 this time) has a nice new sparkly candle apple red paint job which I really liked.

For those that have never been on Swamp Fox, look to the left at how much the track curves and you'll see it's not your typical old woodie. Swampy was running amazing, with some insane g's in the double ups.

Glad to see Swampy still looks great.

Funny how the coaster looks massive at this angle.

Boo! Still not letting adults on.

Watch out. Robbers are near by.

Um. OK.

He he.

I liked their shooting ride. I didn't even see it the last time I was there. It's on the other side near the drop tower.

Pedro would be so proud.

Here's the quasi credit flume. The first drop after the first lift involves TRACK not water! I always wondered why people talked about counting this thing, and now I see. It has the bottom of the drop and one hill consisting of some sort of track and then splashes down. It's a cool element I wish was on more flumes. I still won't count it as a credit.

Yo

No Leo! Don't end it all!

Some of the new high rises near Family Kingdom.

More beachage. Last time I walked in the sand near a park was at Cedar Point.

Next stop: Pavilion Nostalgia Park & Broadway at the Beach

Leo hadn't been back since Pavilion's demise, so we went by Broadway so he could pay his respects.

Still the coolest Hard Rock around.

My chicken is back up and running.

As is the wave swinger.

And the pirate ship too, which is the only one we rode. You actually do get a bit of air on it.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Never noticed this last time...it was made in WEST Germany!

Next up (and I know you can't wait) Pedroland!
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

For those that don't know, Pedroland is part of http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/ which is the worst tourist trap in all of the south, especially if you are driving down I-95 from up north headed to Florida. There are signs like every 5 miles or so and the closer you get, the more annoying they get.

Anyway, at one time the place had a little amusement park, butf the new person that runs the place just has let the place go to pot. They haven't even bothered to update their website and let people know that NONE of their rides work anymore.

I actually have an update of sorts, so read on.

Welcome to Pedroland. We are not responsible for any accidental death that may result in your riding our rides. Please also sign this liability waiver.

Look! El Toro South!

They've actually been doing something (finally). They removed all the cars from the Ferris Wheel death trap, which I actually rode and thought I was going to die on.

I'm actually glad they removed them.

Cool, it's Hang Ten the Vekoma Rollerskater. Oh wait, wrong park.

Quadzilla will eat your children! Run! It's Quadzilla!

Ooooo looks interesting.

I wonder if these brakes will stop me?

Cool it's free!

I think this train is sitting in the same spot as 3 years ago.

Let's hop on board!

Sure, I think that chain will work!

Leo gets shots of the magnificence that is Pedros Mouse.

This train don't stop there anymore. - Elton John

I can probably guarantee I'll never get this credit, as its probably in horrible shape now and no park would buy it.

Maybe we'll get a game in on the "World's best mini golf course". Anyone here? Hello?

Oh rly?

Wild Sombrero is being taken apart and looks like its being moved somewhere (probably the recycling plant).

It's funny that after all of these years of nothing happening, I was there when they finally started taking down one of the rides.

Hopefully you're headed to that great amusement park in the sky, where at least someone will take care of you!

That's all for this installment with Travels With The Unemployed!

Next up: who knows. I might actually get a job soon!