PTR - Kennywood, Hersheypark, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc.

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

chargercrazy
Exotic Chicken

PTR - Kennywood, Hersheypark, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc.

Post by chargercrazy »

Wanda and I went on this trip at the beginning of August.

We arrived in Pittsburgh and attended a Pirates game at PNC Park. The stadium is beautiful. The Nats beat the Pirates, big surprise there.

View of the park from across the river.

View from our seats. I got them off stubhub for cheap. Yes, we are five rows from the field.

In this shot you can see the ball as it makes it way to the plate. Ok, maybe if the photo was a higher resolution. Look up and to the right of first base.

We walked down to the park after the game. We then tried to drive to the Duquesne Incline to ride up, but our map did not show that there are roads on two levels. So we drove up to the incline.

You can see most of the city from up here. The park where the fort once stood is on the peninsula.

The next day we went to the Sandcastle Waterpark and Kennywood.

Here is the Jack Rabbit. I rode in the very last row of the last car and got major airtime on the first drop. If there was no seatbelt I would have flown out of the train.

The queue for the Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt traverses the course. Also in the picture is track for the Phantom's Revenge.

Phantom's Revenge at the top of the lift.

No queue video for Exterminator. Oh well. The ride was pretty good although in the dark you couldn't see your hands in front of your face.

I didn't get to ride the Racer because it was closed for some reason. Oh well, maybe next time.

I didn't know how this shot was going to turn out. At least it looks kinda cool. This is one of the better ones. I got some more with the Phantom train flying by, but it was too dark to see.

We left at park closing.

On the way to Gettysburg we stopped off at the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Fallingwater House. We paid $8 each to tour the grounds. I'm glad we didn't pay $18 each to go inside the house. What a ripoff.

Famous shot of the house.

Here is the North Carolina Monument at Gettysburg.

Did you know that 1 out of every 4 men who fought at Gettysburg were from North Carolina?

On to Hersheypark. This is Stormrunner.

It's cheesin' again.

In this picture you can see the Great Bear, Sooperdooperlooper, and the Comet.

Here is Fahrenheit, Wildcat, and Sidewinder.

Oh look, it's where the chocolate is made.

Sooperdooperlooper doing its thing.

It's the Great Bore . . . I mean Bear.

Fahrenheit was pretty good, but it wasn't long enough. I really like this style of coaster, but Maverick's launches put it ahead of this one.

Wildcat's first drop.

The Comet. The trains for this were named Mork and Mindy. I know that some of you might not get the reference.

On to Philadelphia.

It's the Liberty Bell! It wasn't all it was cracked up to be. <Sorry, bad joke>

Independence Hall with George standing out front. Inside is where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed.

This is the room where it all happened.

That's all folks.
AKA the bearded dude
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Re: PTR - Kennywood, Hersheypark, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc.

Post by Jonathan »

lol at the queue video. Props to them for using VLC player, though. Hersheypark and Kennywood are both pretty awesomefied. What were your favorite rides? Think I would have to go with Lightning Racer and Thunderbolt. Storm Runner was pretty awesomefied too.
chargercrazy
Exotic Chicken

Post by chargercrazy »

Definitely Lightning Racer at Hersheypark -- both sides were running great. Fahrenheit would have been better if it was a longer ride and I didn't have to wait for over an hour to ride it. Hersheypark's Wild Mouse is good too -- they ran it with no trims on the top, heck hardly any brakes at all. The Flyers at Hershey suck. Storm Runner was good too, but it was also a bit short. The Great Bear was just too slow through the course. It has some good elements, but it just travels through them too slowly. The helix right off the lift really kills that ride.

I did like Thunderbolt at Kennywood, I just wish I had ridden the Racer so I could compare it also. I still don't understand that you must have two riders in every seat or you can't ride the Thunderbolt. It didn't throw you around that much. I got Wanda to ride the Whip there too. What a great simple ride. Phantom's Revenge delivered good airtime but was a little bumpy in some places. The Scream' Swings or Swingshot or whatever it's called there are good too. Carowinds really needs a set of those. They may be my favorite new flat ride.
AKA the bearded dude
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Nice report.

I rode the funicular (I think that's what they are called) down to see a Pirates game at Three Rivers in 1985!

Kennywood is an awesomefied park. Thunderbolt is one of my favorite woodies. I hope to get to Hershey next year.