Six Flags Over Georgia 3/6/10

Post your trip reports here!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Six Flags Over Georgia 3/6/10

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Hi again in coaster forum land:

Saturday Sean, Andrew and myself headed down to Atlanta for some early coaster riding. Well, I know you guys in Cali and FL get to ride all year, but I'm not quite so lucky.

If you'd like to view all my photos go here:
Six Flags Over Georgia 2010 pictures from amusement parks photos on webshots

Also check out my video.

YouTube - Six Flags Over Georgia 2010

Anyway, on with the show.

If you've driven I-85 from Charlotte south, you'll know the big butt as I like to call it.

Surely this isn't Atlanta traffic. I don't know where everyone was, but normally it is backed up to the South Carolina state line. ;)

Atlanta's mid-town is about the size of most cities downtown. And to think, they predict Charlotte will be the size of ATL in the next 10+ years. *shudders*

Howdy Mr. Turner.

Ah yes, the reason we got up at 4:45 on a Saturday. Along with Carowinds joining the B&M hyper wars, they join SFOG as having one of the most visible hypers from an interstate.

I think this is our exit.

Batman looks very sharp in his new coat of paint. The ride was also running incredibly fast and smooth and insanely intense!

I wonder if they drained all that water out yet?

No gang signs please!

Is Top Gun moving here?

Now begins the theme of this trip report: Coaster Photos Without Trains! For short I'll call them No Train #, so in this case this is No Train #1.

You see, yet again, Six Flags Over Georgia decided that despite one hour waits on many of their coasters, they didn't need to run a 2nd (or 3rd) train on ANYTHING! Why? I have no idea why this park has such a problem with running a second train when they have a line! Ugh. I will say that most coasters we rode were running great, but with one train operation it made for a very limited number of rides.

The coasters all opened late as well because of the cold temperatures that morning. Double ugh. So far we are running between 1 & 2 flags for this trip.

No Andrew! Stop! Too late, security showed up and we never heard from Andrew again.

No train #2

Dude's text reads: "I know! I can't believe the Wiggle's are coming myself! It's a dream come true!!!"

Um, I thought this coaster was going in Magic Mountain.

No train #3

Sean just saw Mr. Six dance by naked.

Best thing I've seen all year. No more hair gel!

No train #4

Eh?

Nope, I can't figure it out either.

Now for the new section of the park: Abandoned Lickskillet!

The park didn't bother to put up a sign (that I could see), so I have no idea why they ripped down the western show stage, and boarded up all the shops! I also stopped and paid my respects again to Deja Vu. And before you ask, yes I looked at that sign on the right, but it didn't have any info.

Hey Six Flags! Take this ugly piece of junk down and put a nice restaurant with a view of GASM here! It would be something I'd actually spend money on! Carowinds charges half the price SFOG does, and theirs is taller!

I sense a great disturbance in the force. Actually it wasn't bad for me in the 2nd to back row, but Andrew said it killed his shoulders.

What the? Ninja's air compressor is run by an old V8? Are you serious?

Mass Confusion: The Ride. SFOG doesn't know how to fix this ride so that it parks correctly, so when it pulls in and they open the gates, the guy yells "GO ONE ROW BACK!", but everyone still goes to the row in front of them, which creates mass confusion and makes the load even longer.

No train #5.

And with that I'll end my report. I spent more time trying to get some footage than anything, as I've got tons of pictures of SFOG already and our time was very limited due to the fact that the park opened 1.5 hours late and they closed at 7:00.

My overall thoughts on the park:

Georgia Cyclone- Insane airtime this year, but the seat dividers are so rigid that every jolt and shake of the train went right into my hip bones. Again, insane airtime this year, but you have been warned that you might need to see your chiropractor afterwards.

Batman- The new blue paint job looks fantastic, and the ride is running faster and smoother than it has in years.

Mind Bender- I was very happy to see that they actually had it up and running opening day. I've heard stories of it not opening for 3 weeks or so after opening weekend. Still a fantastic ride, but with one train ops, I didn't get but 2 rides.

Lockers- WHY? I can't tell you how angry it makes me that the park wants you to pay for a locker at Goliath, Georgia Cyclone, Superman and Georgia Scorcher. Why can you allow us to leave our stuff in one coasters station, but not the other?

Overall Park- The park looked very nice, the staff for the most part were friendly and helpful (shocking I know), I hope they can keep it up throughout the year.

Operations- Again, one train operations and I just don't get how you don't have 2 trains on coasters like Goliath, Superman and Batman which were all very popular and had 1 hour+ lines during the day.

Season Pass- I couldn't help but buy a pass this year, since a pass is only $5 more than daily admission (through May I think).

Parking- Still a rip-off at $15.
coasterdave
Darth Chickenus

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia 3/6/10

Post by coasterdave »

Allow me to explain the lockers for I might know something about it. The lockers do infact make the park extra change and also increase capacity of rides. How is it you might ask well instead of waiting on a guest to cross the train and lay stuff down after which the guest returns to the train to take your seat. Or you could have the guest just get on the train and it gets dispatched faster. I know it might not seem that way and opening day looked to be complete and utter confusion but it does speed up the dispatch and increase the through put of guests on the ride.

Now I am speaking only in terms of what the chains I worked with but I would say Six Flags reason might be the same.