Oceana Air Show Sep 9 Virginia Beach

Have something cool coming up you want to do? Have an idea of something we should do? Want to join us at our next outing? Come here and find out what's going on where!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Oceana Air Show Sep 9 Virginia Beach

Post by radial »

This is near Virginia Beach:

http://www.oceanaairshow.com/saturday.htm

This year's power-packed lineup includes the U.S. Navy Blue Angles, Patty Wagstaff, Greg Shelton & Ashley Battles, Ken Fowler, Bill Leff, Dan Buchanan, The Geico Skytypers, the Shockwave Jet Truck, the British Red Devils, USASOC Black Daggers, "Snort" Snodgrass and Rob Reider. Military jets like the FA-18F Super Hornet and the F-15 Eagle will fill the skys with thunder and the British Red Devils and U.S. Army Black Daggers will delight and amaze the crowd with their precision performances. Gates open at 8 a.m. so get here early! With our powerhouse line up, you won’t want to miss a second of the non-stop flying action. Admission and parking are free.

If you find yourself enjoying the beautiful Virginia Beach oceanfront on Saturday evening, make sure you stroll down to 31st Street Park by the Hilton hotel and enjoy the signature Neptune Festival Beach Blast. There will a free concert in the park beginning at 6pm and the night will really heat up at 7:30 with an FA-18F Super Hornet afterburner flyover! The British Red Devils and the USASOC Black Dagger jump team will also join you at the beach, but they'll be arriving by parachute! Also, don't miss the Blue Angels, who will make an appearance to introduce the 2006 team and sign autographs.
Last edited by radial on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

I'll probably be at the NC State football game, but it sounds like a good show. The Blue Angels are always fun to watch.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

Maybe we can make this??? :?: :?:
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

well steve already bought tickets for steve april, me and lisa. tickets werent much, but we had assigned seats, not sure if we could all sit together if another batch were bought?
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

Back from the trip, Myself, Steve April and Brent went. Waited on the road for like 2 hours just to get into the airbase. by the time we got in there were only 2 shows left. The first show we saw was a lady Patty Wagstaff (http://www.pattywagstaff.com/) in her 300S, she has won the US National Aerobatic Championship 3 times. She executed at least 30 minute block of tumbling and flawless acrobatics. It was amazing to see this in person, See some of her for yourself at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... y+wagstaff
Unfortunatly I was eating my lunch during this so did not have the camera out.

Then the Blue Angels showed up, in all their glory and dance moves. They did an equally technical demonstration, although of a different nature. With their jet plans going 400mph, they were much faster and numerous that Patty in her lone plane. Most of the Angels stuff were formation flying, extreme formation, as in 18" between planes, and very close manuvers such as passes and crosses. I did get tons of pics of these guys.

Then we went and took more pictures of the planes on display as we had free roam all over the runway. Afterwards, we headed to Neptune Park at Virginia Beach. We took a stroll down the beach and came back for the festivities. Being, a jet plane flying over top of us, with afterburner on. You could see the flame from his plane clearly, although the camera didn't get it nearly as clear. Then from .5 mile up, some parachuters came down and landed right on their mark, mind you the beach wind just billowing down. Then, another set of troopers came down from 2 miles up, landed also right on target.

With that, and some closing ceromonies the show was at an end for us and we headed on our way back. Would def do this again next year, but now we know we woudl need to stay the night before to be able to see more of the air show on saturday.

Pictres here:
http://flickr.com/photos/radialmonster/ ... 277216971/