Aug 8-10 2008 Weekend

Have something cool coming up you want to do? Have an idea of something we should do? Want to join us at our next outing? Come here and find out what's going on where!

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Aug 8-10 2008 Weekend

Post by AMartin777 »

So... we will finally get to meet face-to-face the new lady in Phil's life next weekend. Myleen? Mialean? How do you spell it Chicken? :)
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Re: The new girl

Post by radial »

Mylene
http://flickr.com/photos/radialmonster/tags/mylene

Unless something drastic happens she's coming either the night of the 8th or the 7th. She's already got a bus ticket for the 8th from DC to Henderson, but she's found out she can actually come on the 7th instead, so she's going to try and get it changed. So here's what I'd like to do:

Assuming she comes on the 7th then on the 8th evening I'd like to have a get together at my house with everyone that wants to come. We'll cook up something and play games, or something. If she comes on the 8th it would be too late to do anything that evening.

Saturday the 9th would like to try and do the Dark Knight Imax thing and go to a few of the cool museums there or just kinda explore in downtown Raleigh. She wants to see our local mall too. That evening would like to go to Alans house and play some board games and have our usual saturday night thing.

The 10th, sunday, day we'll spend seeing some of my family but that evening we're all heading into Raleigh for the show. She doesnt have any idea what we'll be doing sunday night so dont say anything.

We may drive separate sunday night as she may be taking a 2:30am bus from raleigh back to DC so would take her to the station instead of coming home.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Nice. Obviously I'm down. Kind of weird because I was going to suggest that weekend that you guys come into town and we hang out and maybe go to the museums and stuff anyway. Hell I might even have all the boxes at my apartment unpacked by then.

Make sure you buy the Dark Knight tickets early. I just saw it at the IMAX on Monday. We looked at the tickets Friday and every show from Friday through Wednesday at 7:40 was already sold out, as well as the weekend matinees. The 10:30 ones were the only ones available, and some of the weekday matinees.

Damn worth seeing in IMAX too, although $12 bucks is a bit steep. FYI for a dollar more ($13) you can get into Marbles as well, which is a kids museum, but still looks kind of fun...
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

They are actually (strangely enough) running Dark Knight at Discovery Place as well, just got my ticket this morning for that and the Pompeii exhibit.

So with my AAA discount, the Imax ticket was basically $10 and $20 for the museum. Normally DP is like $10, but the big exhibits get doubled in price it seems. We'll see if I can Escape from Pompeii in time for the Dark Knight. :lol:
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Strangely enough that one of the most popular movies in history is playing?

Anyway, how does that work at Discovery Place? Isn't that IMAX a dome? Seems like it would be really disorienting.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Jonathan wrote:Strangely enough that one of the most popular movies in history is playing?

Anyway, how does that work at Discovery Place? Isn't that IMAX a dome? Seems like it would be really disorienting.
I mean that Charlotte half the time doesn't get things that would make sense like that. They don't run every IMAX movie either.

yeah, it's a dome so I'm not sure how it's going to look.
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

Ok, so lets buy our DK Tickets for the imax for the 9th. we need to all buy together so we can get seats together. who's in?
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

The seats are not assigned. You just get a regular movie ticket, so you have to get there early to avoid being down front which looks like it would be absolutely awful.
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

Oh I thought when John was looking to buy them for last weekend he said something about getting them all together for some reason.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Re: Aug 8-10 2008 Weekend

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Aren't some of you guys going to the ***** show

I will be there (in the good seats thank you very much) and maybe we can at least meet up and say hello or whatever before the show starts.

EDITED by Phil - sorry i had to edit this... yes we're going to that show. This is her 'surprise'
caedmon59
Chicken Little

Post by caedmon59 »

Robin and I are down for IMAX on the 9th!!! We've seen it on regular screen, was a very good movie. IMAX looks awesomefied!!!
coasterdave
Darth Chickenus

Post by coasterdave »

If I was not heading down the following weekend then I might have nade the trip. Hope she has a great time that weekend. Just do not forget to pinch it before you roll it down.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

I saw Dark Knight at 4:45 today, glad I got my ticket Thursday because it was sold out for then and the 7:45 show.

The dome was kinda annoying only in spots, basically if the subject was in the middle 2/3 of the film/screen it was fine and not really that distorted. But stuff on the edges of course were bent to the screen style.

Still though, seeing those scenes shot in Imax was worth the price of admission.
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

Ok come on now lets settle down some details about this dark knight thing so we can be sure we get tickets. Time doesnt matter to me.

http://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/imax/showtimes.aspx

Saturday, August 9, 2008
10:00 am Grand Canyon 3D
11:00 am The Dark Knight
2:00 pm The Dark Knight
4:55 pm The Dark Knight
7:50 pm The Dark Knight
10:45 pm The Dark Knight
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Ummm you do realize that I already bought 9 tickets for the 2 PM showing?