Jonathan's Album of the Week Thread

Anything else goes here! Parks, games, music, politics, world events, the state of your bathroom....

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

SCROLL DOWN FOR THE NEW STUFF

Yeah I've been meaning to get around to watching that. I saw them two days later at the Cradle and the lead singer said he was embarrassed about that because he lost his voice the day of the show and sounded terrible. Sounded great at the NC show, though.

Still my favorite album of the year.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

Where is the "Down By Avalon" review? :o
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

Yeah at least that's somebody I've heard of. :lol:

Oh speaking of DBA...my Ghost Town video that featured the DBA song Losing Ground just got picked up by an Asheville tourism website.

Whenever they post it I'll give a link.

EDIT:

Well that was fast.

This was really cool too. They saw my video on YouTube and asked me to upload it to their site. I guess YouTube is good for something after all. :shock:

http://www.exploreasheville.com/videoga ... gn=general
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

SCROLL DOWN TO THE NEXT POST FOR PART 2 OF 2007 MUSIC
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

It's time for the second and final installment of my 2007 music series! No repeat artists on this one, as there was just too much to cram in.

Go to this link plz http://jonathanhawkins.net/index.php/20 ... st-part-2/
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

My Xmas Songs Picks!

Post by AMartin777 »

Well, i'll throw in my 2 cents worth, as it were, to the Xmas music selection. The top 10 in no particular order:

10. "Jingle Bell Rock" - Bobby Helms

A simply constructed, catchy as f^&k song that we have all heard a billion times. The real gem here is the vocal. It is simply one of the finest vocal performances on any song by anyone.

9. "Happy Xmas (War is over if you want it)" - John Lennon & Yoko Ono

I feel compelled to include Yoko Ono in the credits for this song as I do not believe it would exist without her influence on Lennon. This song was part of a rather large campaign by Lennon and Ono as a comment on Vietnam. The sentiment expressed in the song is not far removed from that in "Imagine" and is just as timely today, if not more so, than in it's day.

8. "Thanks for Christmas" - XTC

An obscure track from the masters of Pop. This track stands out for me due to its beautiful production and great vocals. Lyrics like "As they decorate the trees, all across the seven seas" point to a more universal "planet" approach to Christmas, like the holiday can melt into something for all of humanity and not necessarily for Christians alone. Completely sappy and candy cane sweet... just the way I like it.

7. "Carol of the Bells" - Various chorals and artists

A powerful piece of music that speaks directly to the founding of Christmas itself. Often used as a background piece to commercials and TV shows, it loses impact without an attentive ear. When executed adeptly, this piece has the ability to raise Goosebumps with its power and beauty.

6. "Gabriel's Message" - Sting

Sting's presentation of this song carries you into a place where medieval monks sing the praises of an important message from God to Man. The multi-layered vocal seems to rise to the very heights of the cathedral setting that is created by the vast amounts of reverb applied throughout. Sting's voice is absolutely in its prime here and is diamond perfect for this type of music. Perhaps he was a monk in a previous life? Like "Carol" above, it presents a more serious side to the holiday.

5. "Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy" - Bing Crosby and David Bowie

One of the last performances that Bing Crosby would ever give. Funny he should choose to do this with David Bowie as most would never relate the two musically. This recording speaks directly to the respect that most musicians had gained for Bowie up to that point and verified by this performance. The vocals are great and Bowie really shines in the two-part harmony. One of the greatest moments on any recording is Crosby's small comment falling at the end... "That's a pretty thing isn't it."

4. "Revenge Of The Cryptkeeper" - Tales From The Crypt: Have Yourself A Scary Little Christmas

"Up on the roof with nails and saws, I’ll build a trap for Santa Claus". An adventure in pure silliness, the entire album is a hoot and contains one of the most disturbing tracks I have ever heard anywhere, "Should Old Cadavers Be Forgot". However, it's the "revenge" track that delivers the laughs with a story about trapping and ridding the world of Santa Claus once and for all to the tune of "Up on the Housetop". "Deck the Halls With Parts of Charlie" and "We Wish You'd Bury the Missus" are notable mentions.

3. "Christmas Song" - Jethro Tull

Quite obviously a statement on those that use Christmas as nothing more than an excuse to drink, this short piece talks about the real foundation of Christmas and its loss on those who find everything an excuse to party. The lyric "So how can you laugh when your own mother is hungry and how can you smile when the reasons for smiling are wrong?" is particularly biting and cynical. The ending is no less sarcastic with Ian Anderson speaking after the music has stopped, "Hey... Santa... Pass us that bottle will ya?"

2. "Another Christmas Song" - Jethro Tull

From a much later album we are given a much more positive and uplifting holiday track. This track expresses the joy and pride of a parent calling home each of his children at Christmas time. The lilting melody and great flute playing give a strong folk overtone to the season. A beautiful track both musically and lyrically.

1. "I Believe in Father Christmas" - Greg Lake

A track from 1975 that presents the idea that the entire concept of Christmas is essentially a lie, this is perhaps the only Atheistic Christmas song ever recorded. The paradox is obvious while the vocal is quite good and the melody pleasing. I'm surprised this gets played on the radio at all with all the right-wingers running around freaking on anything that suggests an Agnostic or Atheist view.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

How dare you question right wingers! We know everything!!!!!
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

Jonathan wrote: 5. Radiohead - "Jigsaw Falling Into Place"
From the album In Rainbows

Radiohead shook the recording industry to its very core with potential long lasting implications when they announced on October 1st with no warning that in 10 days they would release their long awaited new album, and would do so without a record label. Not only without a record label, but by allowing listeners to name their own price; free if they wanted. Unofficial numbers suggest the release method rolled in more cash for the band than they ever would have received from a label, although the official numbers won't be released until the end of the year. As for the music itself: a lot of people love it. I personally think it is disappointing, but this song is one of their best since OK Computer.

14. Jonathan Coulton - "End Credits"
From the Portal video game

If you are planning on playing the new Valve game Portal, and you should because it is one of the most well written and wittiest games ever, maybe you shouldn't listen to this. It is the song that plays in the end credits of the game, sung by the supercomputer that has just spent the last few hours antagonizing you, deceiving you with non-existent cake, and trying to kill you.
I just got the Radiohead album today (the physical version) and I am on the very last advanced stage of portal. I can vouch that both of these songs are awesomefied, good additions to your set!
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Steam friends plz: Vulcan91
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

If you've already said this before I appologize, but is there a good place online where you can listen to CDs new/old whatever streaming instead of having to download them?

And I know Reverbnation does that, but I'm looking for more mainstream artists and such. I like to listen to CDs before plopping down $12-$15 (yes I still buy CDs)
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

amazon.com has most main artists streamable from the product page
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

added as friend. I am, of course, radialmonster, if anyone else wants to join

Found on youtube the end of portal showing the video accompanied with the song in case anyones interested:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Re: Jonathan's Album of the Week Thread

Post by Jonathan »

Nobody here really listens to Weezer, but I am required to spam anything I write across the Internet, so here is a review I wrote of the Rivers Cuomo demo album. Yep, I still say f*@k Beverly Hills.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Re: Jonathan's Album of the Week Thread

Post by Jonathan »

It's been a good thread. Memories were made, good times were shared, and I'm sure we'll never forget it. But it has run it's course. So I will close it out with my favorite albums of the year http://jonathanhawkins.net/index.php/2007music/