Jonathan's Album of the Week Thread

Anything else goes here! Parks, games, music, politics, world events, the state of your bathroom....

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Jonathan's Album of the Week Thread

Post by Jonathan »

GO TO PAGE TWO FOR THE NEW STUFF
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Scroll down

[Old stuff deleted]
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

Actually Jon, this thread is most appreciated. I have checked some of it out. See, not a failure at all! :)
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Well, perhaps if you had replied to that two months ago when I originally made that statement, I would have been more inclined to post more music. :P
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

BACK TO THE TOP

Post by Jonathan »

THE THREAD RETURNS.

I have made a little mix for you people. The theme of this one is songs from some of my favorite 2007 albums that you may or may not have heard of. We're halfway through the year, and I haven't listened to a lot of stuff, so there are 10 albums represented here. If you like something and want more of it, I'm sure I could work something out.

If I had the Down by Avalon CD, I would rip it and put a track on here.

DOWNLOAD HERE (85.57 mb zip file) - This will die after 7 days so get it while it's hot

There are 13 mp3s and a m3u playlist file.

1 and 2)
The Polyphonic Spree - "Together We're Heavy" and "Running Away"
From the album The Fragile Army

If you saw my other thread, you know how much I love this band, although they tend to get a somewhat mixed critical reception. Since they have 24 people and have been bounced from label to label, they need to sell some records to keep this thing going. So, whereas their last album, Together We're Heavy, was very sprawling and ambitious, this is a straightforward album structurally. 11 basic pop songs with a lot of hooks, and a really good album in my opinion. I put both of these tracks on here because the first one is a 30 second intro that blends into the opening song. "Running Away" is the first single from the album, and the most upbeat.

3)
The National - "Fake Empire"
From the album Boxer

I haven't listened to this album a ton, but I like what I hear. Particularly the first couple of songs, and especially this one; the opening track. It's one of those records that grows on you, and takes a number of listens to begin to appreciate it.

4)
St. Vincent - "Paris is Burning"
From the album Marry Me

I gotta be honest; I first found out about St. Vincent (Annie Clark) because she was the cute guitarist in The Polyphonic Spree and in Sufjan Stevens's touring band for a bit. Her debut album is outstanding; the album seems to seemlessly shift from pop to jazz, and there are some really beautiful arrangements on it. I started to put the opening track on here, but then went with this one. It's somewhat dark.

5)
Arcade Fire - "Keep the Car Running"
From the album Neon Bible

Their first album, Funeral, is one of my favorite albums ever. This one isn't quite that good, but it's still pretty fantastic. This track is the 2nd on the album, and one of the singles. They played it on Saturday Night Live earlier in the year. The album is completely over the top sonically, including a massive pipe organ blasting full force on a couple of songs. Lots of hooks.

6)
They Might Be Giants - "Climbing the Walls"
From the album The Else

In case you hadn't heard, They Might Be Giants have released a new album, and like everything they have done in the last 15 years, it's a bit of a mixed bag. However, I think this one is one of their best (if not best) efforts since "the good ol' days". Lyrically, there's no doubt in my mind that this is their best album in a long time. They've also actually been somewhat daring with a couple songs and broken from the typical TMBG mold.

7)
Ryan Adams - "Two"
From the album Easy Tiger

I couldn't decided what to choose from this album, so I just went with the single. Sheryl Crow's vocals are buried there somewhere in the background. This is probably the most consistantly good, yet least ambitious album in a while for the Jacksonville, NC and Raleigh native. It never really goes anywhere unfamiliar, but every song is well written. He will probably always be under the shadow of his work with Whiskeytown and his first and by far best solo album, Heartbreaker.

8)
Rivers Cuomo - "Pig"
From the album Rivers Cuomo demo tape sent to Rick Rubin and somehow leaked to the Internet

When Weezer supposedly broke up after their final Make Believe tour, I told people that you can't trust anything Rivers Cuomo says or does. Well well well, what do you know, Weezer is going to the studio this summer to record their 6th album. It will probably suck a$$, but perhaps there is some hope. This demo recorded by Rivers and sent to Rick Rubin under the title Deliverance at Hand is in my opinion his best song since Pinkerton (which as you know is my favorite album). Of course, since Rick Rubin is a shitty producer and advisor, he will probably have Cuomo re-write it until it sounds terrible, and then overproduce the hell out of it. I like this demo though qutie a bit.

9)
Andrew Bird - "Dark Matter"
From the album Armchair Apocrypha

Andrew Bird is fantastic. This album is fantastic. This song is fantastic. The intro reminds me of the score from "Return of the King" when Frodo and Sam are sitting on the rock with Mordor burning around them, but I probably shouldn't have just admitted that. Nerd moment aside, Bird manages to write songs that are complex in terms of lyrics, instrumentation, and arrangement, but still come out catchier than anything on pop radio.

10)
Okkervil River - "John Allyn Smith Sails"
From the album The Stage Names

Okay, so this album hasn't actually been released yet, but it's out there and it's incredible. Oddly enough I have now listened to two albums in the last month where the band randomly breaks down into a Pet Sounds (my second favorite album) track. This is the final track on the album, and I guess it speaks to the power of Pet Sounds that perhaps the most memorable moment on this excellent album is where the band kicks into their take on the chorus of "Sloop John B" (I know I know, it's not necessarily a Beach Boys song). Okkervil River's last album, Black Sheep Boy, was one of the best records of 2005, and this one may be the best of 2007 so far.

11)
The Polyphonic Spree - "Overblow Your Nest"
From the album The Fragile Army

I wanted to throw another Spree track on here, so I did. Possibly my favorite track on the album.

12)
Arcade Fire - "No Cars Go"
From the album Neon Bible

Okay with this one I just couldn't decide whether to go with "Keep the Car Running" or this one, so I just said screw it and put both on. Originally written for their debut EP, they re-recorded this song with an orchestra, choir, and organ to make it as epic and over the top as possible. It's HUGE.

13)
Steve Goldberg - "Summer's Ending"
From the album Steve Goldberg and the Arch Enemies

I'm not one to try and convince people to buy albums, but seeing as how I'm probably one of 50 people who owns Steve's album, I'd like to see him have some success so he can record more music. You can stream the entire album free at http://stevegoldbergmusic.com/ and purchase it there for $12 if you like the music. This is the closing track off the album. Pop music with classical arrangements and instrumentation and quirky lyrics.

Okay, that's it. I figured I would bring this thread back from its 1.5 year hiatus with a bang.[/b]
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chargercrazy
Exotic Chicken

Post by chargercrazy »

Am I a sad individual because I've only heard of 2 or 3 of these artists (not heard their music, just their names)?
AKA the bearded dude
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

No. But this is why Jonathan shares the knowledge.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Am I a sad individual because I've only heard of 2 or 3 of these artists (not heard their music, just their names)?
That's why I'm here.

Let me guess which ones, though.

Ryan Adams (North Carolina boy)
They Might Be Giants
Arcade Fire (fairly popular, played SNL, peaked at #2 on the Billboard 200)

Or maybe The Polyphonic Spree.

EDIT: I happen to believe Arcade Fire is the next Radiohead in terms of popularity and critical response. I also happen to think Radiohead is the closest thing (but nothing is remotely close) to The Beatles today in terms of the combination of popularity and critical response.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

I saw St. Vincent last night. She had to come to Chapel Hill to ride the fame of being put on my mix.

Her show was fantastic. And she is pretty. And she signed my album.

chargercrazy
Exotic Chicken

Post by chargercrazy »

Jonathan wrote:
That's why I'm here.

Let me guess which ones, though.

Ryan Adams (North Carolina boy)
They Might Be Giants
Arcade Fire (fairly popular, played SNL, peaked at #2 on the Billboard 200)

Or maybe The Polyphonic Spree.

EDIT: I happen to believe Arcade Fire is the next Radiohead in terms of popularity and critical response. I also happen to think Radiohead is the closest thing (but nothing is remotely close) to The Beatles today in terms of the combination of popularity and critical response.
You got them with your first three guesses.

I guess I was just born one generation too late :lol:
AKA the bearded dude
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

I'll be happy to sign yours as well Jon. Now that your a big fan and all...

8)
chargercrazy
Exotic Chicken

Post by chargercrazy »

Oh, please sign mine too! In that cool silver paint pen :D
AKA the bearded dude
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

hey jonathan thought you'd enjoy this live concert of okkervil river:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=14727366

for everyone else get your free concerts and songs where you wouldn't expect them at npr: http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/

also check out http://www.archive.org