Okay I sold out

Anything else goes here! Parks, games, music, politics, world events, the state of your bathroom....

Moderators: radial, AMartin777

Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Okay I sold out

Post by Jonathan »

I have conformed and paid for a Flickr Pro account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhawkins/

I will hopefully be gradually transferring all of my photos to that. I've got nearly 7,000 photos on my computer, so we will see how long that takes.

Then, I guess my next project will be moving all of my videos to YouTube.
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

flickr rocks, as I can vouch for its ease of use. Be sure you get the flickr uploadr tool thing. I use picassa to tag my photos with tags as well as geotags and labels. then export the pictures from picassa, and during that export I reseize the pictures down. then i upload them using the flickr upload tool. using this method flickr will recognize the saved tags, labels and geo locations and will put them where appropiate. if you use the resize in the flickr uploader tool, it looses all this info. took me forever to figure that out. after all that i then load each picture into paint, watermark, airbrush them, and make a flick file that way.

but please if you value quality, forget youtube and use stage6
stage6.divx.com
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

I like flickr and wish I would have discovered it before webshots.

But I have 2500 or so pics and I'm not about to switch them over to flickr.
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

radial wrote:but please if you value quality, forget youtube and use stage6
stage6.divx.com
I agree completely with Phil on this one. YouTube simply doesn't offer a quality level I want to maintain. Besides, our provider gives us enough space and bandwith that we can maintain the quality control for our vids.

Plus, with moving to all Creative Commons licensed music, (and some of my own :D ) we help to promote great artists that are not in the corporate contrived musical universe as well as avoiding the whole copyright debacle.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Well I agree completely as well. That's why I have held out on YouTube for all this time. But the fact is, my site can't compare to YouTube in terms of exposure. For example, I posted my 2006 Hurricanes Slideshow on my site and it has 100 views. On YouTube it has 2,118 views. I will definitely check out this Stage6 site, but it's gonna be a while on that anyway as it's going to take quite some time to get all my photos on Flickr.
chargercrazy
Exotic Chicken

Post by chargercrazy »

I'm all for free stuff, and free flickr is upload hindered last time I checked. I think I uploaded like 4 pictures and half the bandwidth for the month was gone. That's when I tried photobucket.
AKA the bearded dude
AMartin777
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by AMartin777 »

I suppose I approach it more from the "coaster video" perspective. The types of videos we make, even the "non coaster" ones, have a fairly limited audience that is truly interested in viewing them. Therefore, the exposure offered by YouTube is not really as important to me.

I believe people who really want to see the type of videos we make will seek out the sites that provide them regardless of YouTube. I'm not saying YouTube is a bad way to distribute videos in general, I just do not feel its necessarily the best way for Whootah videos especially when you take the quality factor into account.
Jonathan
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by Jonathan »

Well, it's been the same way with those for me. I uploaded my Spring Fling video to both my site and YouTube about 3 months ago. Even though I was posting links to the one on my website all over the Internet and wasn't really sending the YouTube version to anyone, there are still just 33 views of the version on my website, and 878 on YouTube.
bgwfreak777
Omnipresent Chicken

Post by bgwfreak777 »

On the subject of YouTube, I submitted a question for the upcoming republican debates and when you search for those videos, mine is 3rd on this list! weird. I had to disable comments because of the idiots saying stuff like...hey ask that one to so and so! Uh, dummy, I'm not Anderson Cooper.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... e+question

It's alraedy gotten 800+ hits. lol
coasterdave
Darth Chickenus

Post by coasterdave »

I switched from pbase to Flickr myself. Was alot easier to upload than PBASE is. I still have the pics up on pbase from the past two or so [plus years. I just find it a faster way to get my pics up while I am on the few trips that I do take that are coaster related.

Plus you get unlimited storage for a flat fee which is a huge plus.
radial
OmniPotent Chicken

Post by radial »

chargercrazy wrote:I'm all for free stuff, and free flickr is upload hindered last time I checked. I think I uploaded like 4 pictures and half the bandwidth for the month was gone. That's when I tried photobucket.
Then resize your photos, or try again as they've upped their limit on free accounts. This is from the flickr faq:

When you have a free Flickr account, you can upload 100MB worth of photos each calendar month. This is a bandwidth limit, and not an amount of space that you have on Flickr servers.

Your bandwidth allowance is reset to zero at midnight in Pacific Time Zone (Flickr headquarters time) on the first of each calendar month. You can't recover any of your monthly allowance by deleting photos. If you have a free account, you'll see your limit on the upload page.

If you find yourself hitting your limit, try a Pro account. Or, you can shoot your photos at a lower resolution or resize them to be more "web-friendly" (like 300KB instead of 5MB).

End from FAQ

I absolutely see the benefit of uploading to youtube. I can relate to it by my decision to switch from hosting my own pictures to hosting with flickr. Flickr gives a hugely additional amount of audience. If you're into that sort of thing. If not, then privately hosting your stuff may be a better plan.

But, I'm just saying, check out this stage6.divx.com site. Free to use also, but the quality is insanely better than youtube. However, not as huge an audience as not everyone knows about it. Hence my attemps like this to tell people. Think about one thing though, Youtube accounts for 10% of ALL internet traffic.